March 12, 2009

Cannonball

Tuesday afternoon Amy and I were out geocaching around South Lake Tahoe. Because we are not used to the high elevation we are having to drink a lot of water and we have been drinking a crazy amount of water. So much water that we have to use the restroom pretty darn often and it's really annoying.

Since we were out on the road we stopped at a 7-Eleven so that I could use their restroom, Amy stayed in the car, as I felt bad just using them as a restroom...I grabbed a snickers bar for us to share. As I was walking up to the front of the store a scruffy guy comes in and yells at the people behind the counter "I'm sick of this sh**!" Then he proceeds to pull and knock down a rack full of chips, peanut, beef jerky, and the likes right in from of the counter. Then yells "Call the cops, I'll go to jail, I don't care anymore." All the employees were shocked and didn't know what to do. They all apparently knew this guy and didn't know if they should go after him, clean up the mess, tender to their customers (me and 2 other dudes). One of the employees was about to run outside to do something to this guy but as he got to the door, he turned around and said "Screw that I'm already on probation." I thought "awesome."

I stood there not knowing whether to throw the candy bar back on the shelf and just move along or what. Well I hung around and helped one of the guys bring that whole rack upright but all the bags of food were scattered all over the floor. They checked me out and I went outside to tell Amy what happened...she was totally clueless as to what just happened in the store. The scruffy guy was just standing outside by the corner of the building waiting for the cops to get there. As soon as he saw the cops we put his arms up in the air and started waving them down. This guy apparently had a jail wish or something and he had to explain it all to the cops as they got there. We finally just went on our way and let them all be...but it was a crazy few minutes.

I thought I would only see that kind of stuff on TV on the Spike channel but it all happened within a few minutes in front of me in a 7-Eleven in South Lake Tahoe.

We live in a crazy, messed up world. May we all be kept safe from the crazies.

1 comment:

Samantha said...

Its so sad, but maybe he just doesn't have anywhere else to go, and he knows in jail he'll at least have food and shelter.