April 20, 2009

Murder In The City


I'm sure you avid readers saw my micro blogging from our trip on Saturday to Chattanooga, TN.  And the main reason we were there was to see The Avett Brothers in concert.  

I have been a fan of The Avett Brothers for almost a year now and when I had purchased their Emotionalism album and first listened to it I really thought I had made a bad decision.  Seth Avett's voice is just not easy on the first listeners ears and of course such was the case for me Not only is his voice different but their music is unique mixing a blend of folk, bluegrass, rock, and even some punk. Definitely a new genre.  

Luckily I don't give up on music after my initial listening and the more I listened the more I really enjoyed their songs, the music, and especially the lyrics.  Now I find myself always enjoying their tunes and even playing some of them on the guitar.  Even Amy jumps in and sings along with me when I play some Avett Brothers songs.  

Well the concert was amazing, nonetheless.  The Tivoli Theatre was a beautiful old theatre that had such character and added so much to our experience.  Most everyone in attendance had seen  these guys live and the house blew up once they took the stage and it didn't calm down until the show was unfortunately over.  But the best part was that The Avett Brothers band directed the energy the whole night.  As they played their setlist they jumped around, danced around, yelled, and just poured all kinds of energy on stage and onto the audience.  And they did it all for the fans and for the love of music.  

This was probably one of the best shows I have seen and it comes close to topping Wilco's Ryman show from '06 and for sure takes over Bob Schneider's show I saw in '05.  Hands down a great show and I recommend going to see them live.  I know I will try to catch them live every time I can.

I'm embedding a video of their song I heard for the first time on Saturday night called Murder In The City.  This was one of their slower songs they performed but it is still amazing.  


My favorite line is the last of the last verse...
Always remember, there is nothing worth sharing
Like the love that let us share our name


No comments: