April 17, 2009

Performances

I am more than sure that most of you have heard the name Susan Boyle by now.  Susan Boyle the YouTube sensation from Britain's Got Talent that has been all over the news.

I just wanted to share her video because it is genuine and amazing.  Check out her video here.
(They have disabled the ability for me to embed the video here so you'll have to go to YouTube to see it.)


This video reminded me of Paul Potts from an earlier season of Britain's Got Talent.  He was a mobile salesman who wanted to sing opera professionally but never was given the oppurtunity.  And even watching Simon's face you could tell no one thought he could be serious.  But then he sings a song that is amazing, beautiful, and just blows everyone away.   I still watch this and get goosebumps.  


In the movie Philidelphia I always love the scene where Tom Hank's character is in his flat with Denzel Washington's character and he explains the meaning of a certain opera song to him as it plays.  Actually I found it...here it is...it is a beautiful scene.



Everytime I see this video it makes me appreciate the arts so much more because it shows that it brings out a side of someone that you would not see otherwise.  Susan Boyle, Paul Potts, and in the movie scene...the arts mean something to them personally.  In Philadelphia it was something to distract him from the AIDS he was dying from and the struggle of the lifestyle he had.  When he listened to opera it helped to forget about what was ugly for him and see, even if it's for 3 minutes, what can be beautiful.

Susan Boyle and Paul Potts are not beautiful people by Hollywood's standard...but close you eyes and listen to their songs.  They sound like that can take on the world during those perfomances because nothing else matters.  

I hope there is something you do that gives you complete and ultimate joy.  

No comments: