February 28, 2008

Upside

I have ben meaning to post this earlier in the week but Amy has been bitten by the flu bug. Very fortunately enough we caught it really early and she is already in recovery, well for the most part. She did get out of the house today and ran some errands on her own accord. So i figure it's a step into recovery.

Onto the original reason of the post...

Last Saturday night we had a community group service project. So we traveled on up to the Nashville Rescue Mission and volunteered in the kitchen. Jason and Amy (Davis) had already been there a few times and had experience at the facility and with the people. Here's a pic with all of our serving gear on...
It is easy to forget about people in poverty. And to think that there are so many homeless people in Nashville still surprises me. I keep thinking of Derek Webb's song I Repent and about how Amy and I and our friends are so blessed and how we don't need to take it for granted or in vain.

i repent, i repent of living like i deserve anything
of my house, my fence, my kids, my wife
in our suburb where we're safe and white

We all know that I myself am not white...but I will admit that I very much americanized and could probably pass for it if it weren't for my darker skin. There's the lyrics from his song Rich Young Ruler.
poverty is so hard to see
when it’s only on your tv and twenty miles across town
where we’'re all living so good
that we moved out of Jesus’ neighborhood
where he’s hungry and not feeling so good
from going through our trash
he says, more than just your cash and coin
i want your time, i want your voice
i want the things you just can’t give me

I just love those lyrics...not only b/c they are true...but b/c they are uncomfortable. very uncomfortable.

Our time spent at the rescue mission was not a lot of time to serve and it wasn't the most time that we could have given either. But we had fun and we got to serve a lot of homeless men...the biggest thing I think we all got out of it is the reminder of the homeless so close to home. B/c we do live 30 miles away in a safe suburb it is so easy to forget, like the lyrics say, so the upside was that we were around the people Jesus was around all the time.

I hope this is a reminder to you all to not take everything for granted and try to help and serve those who are in poverty.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

On behalf of the nashville Rescue Mission i want to thank you and your groupf for giving of your time to serve the least last and lonely, or otherwise, the homeless. The Bible tells us Jesus desires us to serve those who ar in need. "And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brathren, ye have done it unto me." Matthew 25:40.

Again thank you for serving.

Rev. Don Worrell
CEO
Nashville Rescue Mission